The Legal Life Planning Solutions Difference: Holistic, Empowering & Relationship Based
I began my career at a big law firm on Wall St. From day 1, I felt a significant disconnect between my aspirations as a lawyer and the reality of what I saw. I wanted to help people and connect with them but the process just wasn’t set up to foster holistic, empowering and relational legal life planning. Three specific problem areas stood out.
First, there was hourly billing. Every time I put work into helping a client, they were charged for it. This does not support relationship building. No one was going to reach out and share life changes that may impact their planning if they were being charged for each contact and for each subsequent analysis of the impact of those life changes on their estate planning.
Second was feeling like I worked in a document factory – cut and paste, search and replace. It felt very impersonal, not customized, not relational. Those clients might as well have been using one of those online services that you pay per document rather than getting a holistic plan and a trusted advisor.
Third was my ever-growing passion for educating and empowering. People want knowledge – not just pieces of paper that they don’t understand – in order to achieve the peace of mind that comes with knowing that our loved ones, our values and our assets will be taken care of in the event of incapacity and at death.
I knew there had to be a better way. And so Legal Life Planning Solutions was born – a practice based on the following CORE PRINCIPLES:
- Flat fee – nothing hidden, no surprises. I encourage communication with my clients to build a relationship so I can provide the most effective legal advice possible. In fact, I’ve thrown out the time clock so you never have to worry about calling or e-mailing with a question. Everything is billed on a flat-fee basis, agreed to in advance.
- Education & Empowerment. I spend a lot of time doing seminars and webinars that I offer at no cost in order to educate and empower people to achieve peace of mind with the knowledge that their loved ones, their values and their assets will be taken care of in the event of incapacity and at death.
- Solution based – not document based. Legal Life Planning Solutions provides holistic, solution-based planning packages regardless of the number of documents involved. Clients are not charged based on the number of documents needed to achieve their goals.
So what does it actually look like when you use this holistic Legal Life Planning Solutions approach? Let me illustrate with the plan of a recent client. She is a single mom with 2 teenage children and aging parents. The Legal Life Planning Solutions approach ensures that:
For her children – if something happens to her and she cannot take care of her kids – either because of incapacity or death:
- Ensuring that her kids will be taken care of by whom she wants AND in the way she wants
- Documenting not only who should but also who shouldn’t be in charge of her children
- Documenting the way her kids should be cared for so that her values, principles and faith are passed on to them alongside her assets
- Ensuring that her kids will receive her assets in a method that protects against creditors, predators, and the naïve decision making of youth
For her parents:
- Having the difficult but crucial discussion of their wishes and their planning
- Ensuring that their income and health care needs will be met without impacting her savings for her children
- Knowing how to implement their wishes in the event of their incapacity and at their eventual passing
- Achieving peace of mind knowing that she has done her best to prepare for the uncertainties of today’s world
- Comfort in the knowledge that she is passing on her values and not just her stuff
- Being a family leader and role model for not having left the hard work of organizing her affairs to those grieving or dealing with the trauma of her incapacity or death
If holistic, empowering, and relationship-based Legal Life Planning Solutions sounds like the right fit for you, please give me a call or send me an e-mail. I look forward to speaking to you and helping you achieve your planning goals for you and your family.